Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Middle School Badminton & Play






Well, I volunteer this school year to "coach" Middle School & High School Badminton. It is serious stuff over here in China. I was the assist coach last year for the HS team so I knew the admin side but the drills & rules were another issue I had to catch up on. I did have great help from another teacher, a parent & a student who is very skilled in the sport so I wasn't alone. Well after two months of selecting a team & practice we play our one and only tournament & won by one match. Now don't think it was some big time event as the tournament only consisted of two schools. Not many schools in the area have a middle school team I guess. It was a fast & exciting day but I was fighting with a cold so to have the tournament end early was fine with me. However, our bus broke down twice on the way home due to a bad belt. Maintenance it a problem around here. So is safety as our driver pulled over without safety triangles to place in back of the bus! We did get home safely but very late. So I'm planning to write a short article on how to come in first and end up last.

The other event was our Middle School Desert Theater. "Roaring Guns" was a play I selected over the summer break. I was the leader of the MS drama team for two years & wanted to turn it over asap. Well, at the beginning of this school year a group of teachers wanted to be on the team so I quickly turn everything over to them and "pointed them in the right direction" and went on with coaching badminton (a time consuming endeavor). Our school, QSI Shekou, has a way of tasking people with a bunch of extra duties without extra pay so I learned quick not to be over extended. Well this new bunch that took over the MS drama were far more talented & creative than I could ever be so the play was a hit! The students had a great time and everyone enjoyed it.

No comments:

International Brunch

International Brunch
Juliana from Brazil and Friends

Japanese Girls

East Indians

Koreans

Trip to Kowloon

Trip to Kowloon
Hong Kong in Background

Group Shot in the Metro